8th International Composition Contest “La Mancha guitars” in the framework ”Gitarrentage für Kinder im Saarland”
Eighth International Composition Contest „La Mancha guitars“ in the framework of Gitarrentage für Kinder im Saarland
There are many children who start learning how to play the guitar, but few of them continue to practice as eagerly and enthusiastically as they do in the beginning. There are various reasons for it. Certainly one of them is lack of time to practice due to the time consuming work for school. Whatever the reasons may be, lecturers have to find a way to arouse the interest of their pupils so that the joy of making music will prevail. Here, chamber music represents an exceptional chance because it allows one to play meaningful and complete pieces in a group with only a few technical means.
With this in mind we have been organizing every year, starting in 2009, the ”Days of the Guitar for Children and Teenagers”. Our next Guitar Days are now scheduled for April 2017. In the context of this event, and on the basis of the demand for high quality compositions for guitar ensembles for children, we are happy to announce our Eighth International Composition Contest „La Mancha guitars“ in the framework of Gitarrentage für Kinder im Saaarland.
- The composition has to be three voices for a guitar ensemble for children who are at the beginners’ level in learning the instrument. At least two of the voices have to be monodic, the third one may include some chords and/or simple broken chords. If possible every voice should have a musical meaning of its own. All tones must be situated in the first layer of the guitar – with exception of the tone a’ on the first guitar string; the composition must not have any rhythmic complexities (e.g. syncope or semiquavers in quick tempo).
- The overall duration of the composition must be at least 3 and at most 5 minutes.
- The composition must be an original which has not been published so far. Plagiarism is strictly forbidden as well as compositions based on any protected composition. Also, the composition should not have received an award at any earlier competition. Each composer can participate with only one composition.
- The composition must be signed with a pseudonym; there should be no indications to the applicant’s real name.
- The composition must be presented in the following form:
- three copies of the general musical score
- one copy of each voice
- on paper, written on the computer, in a sealed cover and without the name of the composer as sender
It has to be sent to the following address:
Achter Internationaler Kompositionswettbewerb
„La Mancha guitars“ im Rahmen der Gitarrentage für Kinder im Saarland Am Markt 1
Germany / Deutschland
- Inside the cover, apart from the composition, there should be a smaller, sealed envelope with the following data of the composer: Real name, residential address, telephone number, copy of ID card or passport, a short resume and a short letter which states whether or not the applicant agrees that the composition – in the case it will not receive an award – is still used as repertoire for future “Gitarrentage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Saarland“. This small envelope must be clearly labelled with the pseudonym and a valid e-mail address. The e-mail address must not give any hint to the applicant’s identity either.
- The participants are allowed to send along a recording or a MIDI-file of the composition on a CD.
- The composition must be sent in by postal mail and it must reach the above mentioned address by 21st of November 2016 at the latest.
- In a first selection the jury will choose at least three compositions and inform the three composers by e-mail.
- The chosen compositions are rehearsed by the participants of the “9. Gitarrentage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Saarland 2017“ and they are presented to the jury in the final concert which is open to the public. On that occasion, the jury will decide on the first, second and third places. Only then will the envelopes with the personal data be opened and the winners will be announced.
- The jury is authorized to declare one or several positions unoccupied.
- The compositions having received an award will be published by the publishing house Les Productions d’Oz (Canada). In addition, the winners of the first, second and third awards will receive the sum of 700EUR, 450 EUR and 300 EUR respectively.
- These composers agree that their compositions will be used for future ”Gitarrentage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Saarland“. All other compositions can only be used if the composers have given their consent in the application. If the composer did not do so, the corresponding scores will be destroyed. The submitted documents will not be sent back.
- The compositions having been awarded a prize will be submitted to the publishing house Les Productions d’Oz written on the computer programs Finale 2011.
- If the winner’s compositions are presented anywhere – in written form or during a performance – it must be always mentioned that these compositions were awarded at the Eighth International Composition Contest “La Mancha guitars” in the framework of “Gitarrentage für Kinder im Saarland“.
- The decision of the jury is incontestable. Any recourse to courts of law is excluded.
- Participation in the Eighth International Composition Contest “La Mancha guitars” in the framework of “Gitarrentage für Kinder im Saarland“ implies the consent to all rules.
- In case of any unintended situation the jury is authorized to take all necessary measures.
The jury is composed of three renowned guitarist and pedagogue.
1st Award: 700- EUR + publication of the composition with the publishing house Les Productions d’Oz (Canada)
2nd Award: 450- EUR. + publication of the composition with the publishing house Les Productions d’Oz (Canada)
3rd Award : 300,- EUR. + publication of the composition with the publishing house Les Productions d’Oz (Canada)
The awarded compositions will have their premiere at the final concert of the “Neunte Gitarrentage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Saarland 2017“.